We live-blogged the Met Gala red carpet nails last night, and found we had a few favorites. Two of those favorite nail looks were on the fingertips of Kate Hudson and Allison Williams. We decided we wanted to recreate those nail looks with a quick how-to.
Kate Hudson’s nail look was a beautiful dual French/Ruffian manicure with black and silver by manicurist Alicia Torello. Kate’s dress was Versace, and was made of beautiful white and nude panels with lots of negative space. We love the way the nails played off of the gown and Kate’s hair and makeup.
To recreate her nail look, follow the steps below:
- Apply two coats of Morgan Taylor “In The Nude”
- Using Morgan Taylor “Little Black Dress,” apply a half moon
- Apply a deep French tip using “Little Black Dress”
- Using a striping brush, apply a thin stripe of Morgan Taylor “Could’ve Foiled Me” around the edge of the half moon
- Using a small amount of “Could’ve Foiled Me” on your brush, apply a thin deep French over the black
- Apply a thin coat of your favorite Morgan Taylor topcoat.
Perhaps the most show-stopping nails on the red carpet last night were attached to the lovely Allison Williams. The Girls star walked the iconic Met Gala steps in a one-shoulder Peter Pilotto gown decorated with blue and gold flowers.
Manicurist Pattie Yankee created a set of full cover nails from her Inspire collection with actual watch gears, glittery striping tape, and a blue and gold palette. To recreate these lovely nails, follow these steps:
- Apply and cure two coats of CND Shellac in shade “Creekside”
- Using very little product on the brush, fade CND Shellac shade “Steel Gaze” up from the cuticle. Cure and apply a second coat, taking care to fade the product into the blue tip. Cure, but do not remove dispersion layer.
- Using a fan brush, apply a small amount of CND Additive “Steel Dreams” to the Steel Gaze portion of the nail. Apply a small amount of CND Additive “Blue Heaven” to the Creekside portion of the nail, overlapping the ombre.
- Using the fan brush again, apply a dusting of CND Additive “Emerald Mirage” to the ombre portion of the nail, down to the cuticle.
- Using Akzentz Gel Play Paint in shade “Glistening Gold” and a striping brush, paint a small watch gear on the nail and cure.
- Apply CND Shellac Xpress5 Topcoat, then using a Crystal Katana, place several gold metal studs around the gear and cure.
- Remove dispersion layer with 99% ISP alcohol.
What were your favorite nails from the Met Gala? We’d love to hear your thoughts in the comments.